Off-spec and Outdated Product Destruction
Sometimes products are recalled, they expire, they do not meet safety and quality standards, get damaged in transit, or they need to be removed from the market for some other reason. Although many businesses try to upcycle or recycle their off-spec and outdated goods, there are some instances in which the products must be destroyed entirely.
- We’ve destroyed products such as:
- Coffee Cups that had a defective logo
- Diaper bags
- Off Spec Handbags
- Jeans and shorts that got wet and moldy while they were being imported into the US.
- Outdated cosmetics and beauty products
- Ice Cream that was too cold when it got to the port to be exported.
- Boots that were out of season.
- Expired Hand Sanitizer.
- Food products that expired(eggs, potatoes, lettuce, etc.)
- Expired car cleaning products.
- Expired Aerosols
- Off specification children’s toys
- Off Specification dog treats
- Off Specification sports and energy drinks.
- Off Specification Alcoholic Beverages.
Top Reasons for Product Destruction:
Off-spec and outdated products that are not destroyed or upcycled by the manufacturer often end up on the gray market. The gray market is where legitimate products are sold through unofficial distribution channels. The original manufacturer does not gain any of the profits and the consumers who buy the products do not get access to any manufacturer’s offers, such as warranties or customer service.
Because the goods sold on the gray market are usually faulty, outdated, or otherwise substandard, consumers may learn to associate your business’ brand with these low-quality products. Thus, product destruction offers one way of protecting your brand.
For some products, there is also the risk of unofficial channels gaining access to the products illegally and selling them. For example, defective products that are sent to a landfill may be taken out illegally and sold.
In the case of hazardous products, it is vital that your business comply with all relevant federal, state, and local disposal regulations. Toxic chemicals and other hazardous substances like pharmaceutical waste each have a special waste management protocol; you can read more on toxic substance regulation from the EPA’s article on the subject.
Some off-spec or outdated hazardous and non-hazardous substances may cause harm to someone who accesses it. To limit your business’ liability for negligent behavior, these products may need to be destroyed.
If your business has off-spec or outdated products accumulating in your warehouses, you may benefit from product destruction. Contact Clean Management to get a free quote today.